Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What is a mother?

Mother: (by definition in Webster's dictionary)- "a female parent; a woman in authority; the superior of a religious community of women; an elderly woman; bearing the relation of a mother; to give birth to; to give rise to; to care for or protect like a mother.

WOW- this tells me that "motherhood" has to do with a lot more than the physical act of giving birth and raising a child. In doing my devotion this morning, I read a chapter out of my book called "Hannah's Hope: Seeking God's Heart in the Midst of Infertility" about "the course of time" that occurs while waiting to become a mother. The message that I received was to be the "mother" that I can be now to the children that God puts into my life now until (and beyond) the day that C and I are blessed with a child in our home.
I read a story about a woman that had never married. She avoided the Mother's Day service at her church for 7 years because she so longed to be called a mother. She had dreamed of being a mother all of her life. The Sunday came when she felt that it was time to attend that dreaded "Mother's Day" service as a tool to aid in her own healing as a woman that would never become a mother. (she had recently had a hysterectomy in her early 40s) She forced herself up the steps of the church and into the parlor where she was greeted by an eager young boy handing out flowers to all of the mothers. She politely turned down the flower, telling the young boy that she was indeed, not a mother. She turned around with tear filled eyes to go up to the balcony when a woman her age, stopped her and said, "You most certainly ARE a mother- you are a spiritual mother and mentor to my daughter". The woman waved the little boy back over to the barren woman and with hands shaking- she accepted the flowers. She enjoyed, that day, her very first mother's day service.

God is telling me to be a mother now! I know that my life is full of children daily- but I am also so very irritated daily to have to work with these children, when all that I want is one of my own. So, no matter the outcome of this cycle, I have got to walk back into that classroom and love those children like they are my own...because, right now, they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment